Tamworth’s third game of the season saw them on the road again, this time at Merseyside Nighthawks who like the Phoenix were two wins from two this season. The Nighthawks will be looking to improve on their impressive debut season in the Premier Division after they finished 2nd behind Tamworth and lost to eventual Britbowl winners London Warriors in the semi-finals. The ‘Nix, who were making the trip comparatively light on numbers, would have had to have been on their game to avoid their first regular season defeat since 2015.

Any potential nerves were settled early on however, when #5 Elliot Walters caught the 17 yard pass and snuck in at the pylon for the score, after he made two first downs during the drive to get into the red-zone.

RB Elliot Walters breaking away on another run.
RB Elliot Walters breaking away on another run. Photo courtesy of Nick Mortimer.

Merseyside would have keen to grab a quick response and they got down the field despite some excellent pressure from the defensive linemen giving the opposition QB no time whatsoever. The Pressure eventually paid off when defensive talisman, #68 Stephen Gregory, got to the quarterback and forced the fumble that was well recovered in a pile of bodies by Wayne Drew.

Momentum was well with Tamworth now and they doubled their lead soon after despite some sloppy penalties. QB Pat Daley throwing the 53 yard touchdown pass to wide receiver #87 William Hussey who expertly got ahead of the cornerback to catch the ball coming over his shoulder as he sauntered into the endzone.

The defence were on fire and they handed the ball back to the O after only two plays when the Nighthawks QB rifled a sloppy pass way over his receivers head which was well picked off by #19 Hilton Forsyth who managed to grab the ball despite being unsighted and with minimal reaction time. With such a short field it wasn’t long before Tamworth had their third score of the 1st quarter, Marcus Boswell getting his name on the score sheet with the 12 yard catch.

Merseyside did get points on the board in their first drive of the second quarter however; it took some hard work and some trickery to do so with a fake punt rescuing the drive at its midway point. The quarterback kept the ball for the 1-yard run to the endzone.

The second quarter ended up turning into a shootout when Tamworth scored again, this time after a good return on the kick off by #25 Deji Ali, putting the offense past the halfway line and Marcus Boswell catching for his second touchdown of the game. The Nighthawks had an almost instant reply with an absolute peach of a pass to a wide-open receiver, going from deep in their own half to the goal line. The ball was punched in on the next play and that completed the scoring for the half leaving the score at 27-14.

First blood of the second half was drawn by the Nighthawks, which left them within touching distance for the first time in the game but this was to be the first and last time they came close to the Phoenix as it was to be the last time they crossed the goal line.

The Phoenix began to turn the screw. That man Elliot Walters again marching the offense forward with a nice 38 yard run helped by some excellent downfield blocking. We were still yet to have a rushing touchdown however as #89 Will Hussey did well to hold on to the 6-yard touchdown pass.

The defence came very close to getting their own points onto the scoreboard when #44 Chris Thacker, on a blitz, waltzed through the Merseyside offensive line and hit the QB who fumbled the ball. Defensive End Wayne Drew picked the ball up and made it to the 4-yard line before being brought down. The first rushing TD of the game was scored by #9 Adam Hope.

It was all about Walters and Daley for the final touchdown of the game. The former getting into opposition territory with a nice 25-yard run only stopped by the last man forcing him out of bounds or it would have been to the house. Pat Daley threw successive long passes for a combined 50 yards to put the ball on the goal line. Elliot Walters fittingly getting the points for a well earned touchdown.

Completing the scoring late in the game and grabbing the second “50 Burger” of the season was #17 Alex Lenkowski with the short field goal.

The eventual score line of 51-21 was a fair reflection on the game, a game where the linemen reigned supreme, the offensive men giving the backs all the room they needed, creating channels, and the defensive front 7 constantly pressuring the opposition QB into making costly mistakes.

The defensive front were dominant throughout the day.
The ‘Nix defensive front swarm the Nighthawks QB. Photo courtesy of Kevin Jefferson.

Tamworth, who now stand clear at the top of the Premier North at 3-0, welcome a new look, and bottom of the table, Sheffield Giants side to Atherstone on June 4th for a 14:30pm kick off.

Written by Dan Myatt.